Biblical Proofs Concerning Judah:
Judah through Tamar begat Pharez (38:29) and Zarah (38:30). From Pharez came the House of David from which will come the future Messiah.
Judah would keep the law and teach his brethren who would eventually acknowledge the righteousness of Judah:
[Genesis 49:8] JUDAH, THOU ART HE WHOM THY BRETHREN SHALL PRAISE:
The expression in Hebrew (“yoducha”) translated as “shall praise” should more correctly be rendered as “acknowledge the righteousness of”, “own up to” (Genesis 49:8). The righteousness of Judah will be recognized by his brethren, his inheritance acknowledged, and his truth owned up to.
Judah would be like an old lion (Genesis 49:9).
Judah (unlike the other tribes) would always be recognizable as descended from Israel:
“THE SCEPTRE (Hebrew: “SHEVET” , i.e. Tribal Identification) SHALL NOT DEPART FROM JUDAH” [Genesis 49:10].
Judah will keep the Law (Genesis 49:8-10 Psalms 60:7, 108:90, Zechariah 8:19, 23);
Judah was to be persecuted (Zechariah 1:15, Zechariah 8:13, Isaiah ch.53, Isaiah 42:10, Psalm 44:22);
Judah was to be known as “Judah” or “the Jew” (Genesis 49:10 Hebrew text).
Judah will begin to return to the Land of Israel and develop it (Zephaniah ch. 2 Micah 4:8 Hosea 6:11 ).
At first Judah will be reluctant to recognize Joseph (Isaiah 49:21) but eventually Judah and Joseph will re-unite (Ezekiel ch.37).
The Jews in the present State of Israel have fulfilled all of the conditions below concerning Judah in the Last Days
(The Four Points summarised below were supplied by Stephen Collins and in their original form are available in a separate article):
(1. Jewish State of “Israel” in “Palestine” : The Biblical Book of Zephaniah chapter two predicted that Judah would inherit the coastal regions of “Palestine” including Ashdod, Ekron, Ashkelon, and all the coastland when they return from their captivity.
(2. Judah in Jerusalem : Zechariah chapter 14 supplements Zephaniah and explains how the Jews of Judah will dwell in Jerusalem and fight in defence of Jerusalem during this same period. “Judah” would be a militarily victorious nation in the Middle East.
(3. “Old-New” State of Judah Predicted : Genesis 49:9 also predicted that Judah in the Last Days will be like an old lion (an old nation) and a young lion (a reborn entity) fighting nation in the End Times that casts terror on those around her.
Theodor Herzl, who helped found the modern Zionist movement, wrote a book called “Alt-Neu [Old-New] Land” in which he described the future Jewish State of Israel as he wished it to be. The city of Tel Aviv was named with this concept in mind, “Tell” denotes an ancient mound whereas “Aviv” is the season of spring.
(4. Agricultural prosperity. The “Green Line” Predicted : Genesis 49:12 shows how the reborn State of Israel set up by Judah will be agriculturally prosperous.
The border of the modern State of Israel is referred to as the “Green Line” since on one historical occasion it was drawn on an official map in green. In addition, the term in popular understanding has taken on the additional meaning of agricultural advancement and success. When flying over in a plane it stands out that the regions of Jewish settlement are green whereas areas of Arab domination are not.
(5. Jews Persecuted by Gentiles : The Jews were persecuted by the Gentiles as it had been prophesied Judah would be: Zechariah 1:15, Zechariah 8:13, Isaiah ch.53, Isaiah 42:10, Psalm 44:22
This held from the beginning concerning that portion of Israel (Judah) that would always be obligated by the Law (Leviticus 26:15), e.g. being taken in ships to Egypt and sold as slaves (Deuteronomy 28:68) which was fulfilled at the end of the Second Temple Period and the Bar Kochba Revolt which followed. See the appended note below:
The Prophesied Return in Ships as Slaves to Egypt Fulfilled in Judah!!
(6. Jews Keep the Law : The Jews kept the Law as it had been prophesied that Judah would: Psalms 60: 9, 108:90 Genesis 49:10, Zechariah 8:23, Hosea 11:12, Ephraim goes away from the Torah yet Judah remains faithful.
(7. Jews Observe the Fasts : The Jews keep the four fasts of mourning over the Destruction of the Second Temple as prophesied by Zechariah 8:19
THE FAST OF THE FOURTH MONTH, -17th Tammuz
THE FAST OF THE FIFTH, – 9th of Av
AND THE FAST OF THE SEVENTH, – 3rd of Tishrei (Gedaliah)
AND THE FAST OF THE TENTH, – 10th Tebeth (Tevet).
(8. Jewish State to be Named “Israel” : Isaiah predicted that the descendants of Judah would be known as Israel
HEAR YE THIS, O HOUSE OF JACOB, WHICH ARE CALLED BY THE NAME OF ISRAEL, AND ARE COME FORTH OUT OF THE WATERS OF JUDAH [Isaiah 48:1].
(9. Return of Judah Precedes Return of Other Tribes : Micah 4:8 predicts that in the end times at the beginning of the return “THE FIRST DOMINION” in the final return of Israel shall be “TO THE DAUGHTER OF JERUSALEM” meaning descendants of Judah.
In addition Micah 4:8, Hosea 6:11 say that Judah will lead the way for the other Tribes and prepare the path for their return.
(10. Jews identified with Judah : Judah would be recognized as Judah or Israel whereas the Lost Ten Tribes would not be so recognized until the end times:
[Genesis 49:10] THE SCEPTRE SHALL NOT DEPART FROM JUDAH, NOR A LAWGIVER FROM BETWEEN HIS FEET, UNTIL SHILOH COME; AND UNTO HIM SHALL THE GATHERING OF THE PEOPLE BE.
“SHILOH COME” usually explained to mean the Messiah who will rule in the Rend Times.
“THE SCEPTRE SHALL NOT DEPART FROM JUDAH”:
Menasseh ben Israel explained the above as indicating that
Judah shall always be recognizable as an Israelite Tribe.
The Hebrew word “shevet” translated as “scepter” also connotes Tribal Identification. The word for “Tribe” is “shevet”!
In other words, “The Tribal Identification of Judah as Judah would always remain with him!” [whereas for the other tribes it would not!]
NOR A LAWGIVER FROM BETWEEN HIS FEET, UNTIL SHILOH COME; AND UNTO HIM SHALL THE GATHERING OF THE PEOPLE BE.
The Messiah will enable individuals from the Lost Ten Tribes to know what Tribe they belong to. Until then they will not know or at least not be certain. Also until then Judah will keep the Law.
(11. Jews Must be Judah also proven from the lack of Contrary Verses : The above points are samples. They show that throughout the Bible and especially in the Prophetic works there are references to Judah that cannot and could not be fulfilled by anybody but the present day Jews. It was prophesied that Judah would suffer for being Jewish, keep the law according to the direction of the Sages (Deuteronomy 17:8), eventually be rewarded and recognized by his brother tribes and the world, and never depart from his basic truth. It was prophesied that the Ten Tribes would lose their identity and the opposite was said about Judah, i.e. it was not prophesied that Judah would be lost. All the identifying characteristics of Judah (Keeping the Law, etc) involve matters that cannot be hidden and are obvious to all!.
12. Jewish Judah Loath to Recognize Joseph of Israel : Isaiah 49:21 describes Judah as being initially loath to accept the Lost Tribes and as having suffered alone and been persecuted and exiled from place to place alone.
[Isaiah 49:21] THEN SHALT THOU SAY IN THINE HEART, WHO HATH BEGOTTEN ME THESE, SEEING I HAVE LOST MY CHILDREN, AND AM DESOLATE, A CAPTIVE, AND REMOVING TO AND FRO? AND WHO HATH BROUGHT UP THESE? BEHOLD, I WAS LEFT ALONE; THESE, WHERE HAD THEY BEEN?
This description fits the Jews of today and no-one else.
The Jews were the ones who were persecuted for being Judah, captive, and exiled from place to place.
[Genesis 49:10] THE SCEPTRE (Hebrew: “SHEVET” , i.e. Tribal Identification) SHALL NOT DEPART FROM JUDAH, NOR A LAWGIVER FROM BETWEEN HIS FEET, UNTIL SHILOH COME; AND UNTO HIM SHALL THE GATHERING OF THE PEOPLE BE.