Hunted Meat Halacha
Passed on 2/5/99
"And whatever man… hunts and catches any beast or fowl that may be eaten; he shall even pour out the blood thereof, and cover it with dust…"
I. Meat obtained by hunting may be eaten (Leviticus 17:13) provided the following conditions are met:
- The animal is a clean animal (Leviticus 11).
- The animals blood is poured out (Leviticus 17:13).
- The blood is covered with dust (Leviticus 17:13).
- The animal is examined to determine if it is TEREFAH / torn (Exodus 22, Leviticus 7:24, 17:15 and 22:8).
- The wound inflicted in the hunt is not counted in this examination.
- The internal organs and fat are removed.